Halogeon World
I'd like to preface this by admitting that Audrey was, as usual, correct when she pointed out that i've not posted a "real blog" in a while. I suppose part of the blame must fall on the sheer scope of my recent Disney trip. I am guessing that you'll all (what, all two of you?) forgive me for the wait upon realization that the reason i've not blogged that trip yet is because i want to make sure i have a good long time to write it exactly the way it ought to be written. And if you don't forgive me, i guess i'll get over it. Or slit my wrists.
Anyhow, after watching Brick and Pan's Labyrinth in the last 24 hours (the latter of which was decent but not exactly the greatest movie of all time and i'm not gonna bother reviewing it) i, for reasons unbeknownst to me, felt compelled to listen to a song i had only previously known about because of the movie Donnie Darko. Disclaimer: despite my ratings system and feelings that cursing, sex, etc. are wrong, and despite the heavy inclusion of all of those in Donnie, it is still perhaps my favorite movie. I don't know why.
The point is, after listening to the Michael Andrews version that is played in the movie, i decided to hunt down the song on iTunes, at which time i discovered the original version, performed by the 80s staple "Tears for Fears." Not only do i love the song enough to put it on my Facebook page (and repeat on my iPod), but i was pleasantly surprised to find out how well the song matches my exact feelings at this point in life. So, without further ado:
All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places
Worn out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going no where
Going no where
Their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression
No expression
Hide my head I wanna drown my sorrow
No tomorrow
No tomorrow
Alright, so the first verse has several facets. Foremost (and the point of the song) is the futility of life in the world as we know it; the proverbial rat race as it were, in which people work their lives away to "go nowhere." But the first part of the verse, particularly lines one through three, also indicate being sick of a place. In this case, a place where the vocalist has always been, a place worn, tired, and filled with people who, while he is comfortable with them after all these years, he wishes would change along with him. Consider my position: I've been in Pawling for the better part of my life (13 years) and everyone around me, every little street and back corner of parks and buildings are familiar to me. And they're getting old.
And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
They say you can't die in your dreams. But i did once, and it truly was the most relaxing dream i've ever had. Absolute nothingness- no pain, no worry, just silence. Though obviously the deeper meaning here is that death finally releases us from the absurd aforementioned rat race.
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles it's a very very
Mad world
Mad world
Mad world
Mad world
My thoughts exactly.
Children waiting for the day they feel good
Happy birthday
Happy birthday
And to feel the way that every child should
Another fairly amusing coincidence is that the first day of classes is August 27th; my birthday.
Sit and listen
Sit and listen
Went to school and I was very nervous
No one knew me
No one knew me
Hello teacher tell me what's my lesson
Look right through me
Look right through me
Sure, this could be about moving to a new school. It could be about going to the same school but feeling foreign to the familiar faces of the first verse. But consider: it is also the experience of going to college- no one will know me, i'm nervous, and often in college the professor cares a lot less about your progress than in grade school. Indeed, it's been pointed out that a lot of professors don't care if you show up or not; thus when you attend, you may as well be getting stared right through.
And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you
'Cos I find it hard to take
When people run in circles it's a very very
Mad world
Mad world
Mad World
Mad world
And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you
'Cos I find it hard to take
When people run in circles it's a very very
Mad world
Mad world
Halogeon world
Mad world
Nobody really knows what a halogeon world is supposed to be (pronounced hal-ah-gee-in in the song). Some theorize that it's just a weird way of saying "halogen world," as in the bulb. Thus one must compare the world to a light, or to a life controlled by technology. Personally, i don't care. Whatever world it is we're living in these days, i'm fine with calling it halogeon. One thing's for sure though-- when people run in circles it is a mad world.

0 Responses to Halogeon World
Post a Comment